Artifacts and Reflections

Reflection on Choosing the Secondary Stream

I chose to apply to the Secondary Stream of the Bachelor of Education program at UNBC. High school was an incredible and rewarding time in my life. I grew immensely during this time and I missed it immensely upon transitioning to university. The high school environment is dynamic and students are incredibly impressionable and vulnerable as they become autonomous young adults and free thinkers. I reflect on the wonderful teachers I had with admiration and respect. To this day, I remember so much from my high school courses due to the attention and care my teachers put into their lessons, assessments, and extra-curricular activities. I was inspired in courses like chemistry and biology to expand my understanding of the world and I to strive to be a lifelong learner. Participating in the field hockey team, swim team, Green Team (student-led environmental club), student council, and improvisational theatre gave me the confidence I needed to navigate high school and succeed in post-secondary. In addition to participating in various teams and clubs, activities like reading the morning announcements, attending school masses, and celebrating holidays and spirit days fostered an unwavering sense of community and belonging that was integral to my high school experience. The first time I flew without my parents was a school trip to London and Paris in 2014. I see myself being this leader for students: a source of knowledge, guidance, support, and encouragement.

Reflection on the Elementary Stream

I have recently been contemplating comparisons between elementary and secondary schools, and which grades would be the best fit for me as a teacher. I love celebrating holidays, birthdays, and student accomplishments. I enjoy being imaginative, creative, and playful with students when possible. When I think about content-heavy courses that I’ve observed, such as Chemistry 11, I feel intimidated by the breadth and depth of scientific knowledge that must be covered in the course. In comparison to learning specific course content, the daily schedule for younger students appears to have more space for students to learn about themselves and their peers in a fundamental way. Maybe I’m glorifying elementary school after weeks of observation in local high schools, but something about teaching core concepts like reading, writing, numeracy, and being a caring and respectful friend appeals to me. I think I am very honest, thoughtful, and nurturing, and I wonder which age groups I could best serve. I have found interacting with high school students challenging at times, because some look like adults physically but are socially and emotionally much younger than I am. I am intimidated by teenagers’ use of phones, ball caps, chewing gum, and daring fashion at school. High school seems so much different nowadays, however through my limited observation in elementary schools, elementary students seem more familiar. I am passionate about science communication and connecting students with ideas that change their lives. I can recall many moments in my educational journey which fundamentally altered how I saw and understood the world. These are experiences I hope to provide to my students, regardless of their age.

Reflection on CNC and the John A. Brink Trades and Technology Centre

We travelled to CNC on three separate occasions (January 16, 23, and 30) to meet with Doug Borden, Career Technical Centre Coordinator. The Career Technical Centre (CTC) program allows students to graduate from high school with their first year of technical training already completed. Our team built a marble course with cardboard, hot glue guns, and wood. This hands-on creative project started as a casual endeavor but quickly turned into an exciting and rewarding experience. There was something incredibly satisfying about using everyday objects to construct a functional and entertaining toy. The possibilities were endless, but the time allotted for the activity was limited.

I envisioned twists, turns, ramps, and loops that would create an exhilarating journey for the marbles. With each cut and fold, I carefully crafted the pieces that would eventually fit together to form the marble run. Once all the pieces were assembled, it was time for the moment of truth—the test run. I released the marbles at the top of the structure, and my heart raced with anticipation. It was a moment of pure joy as I watched the marbles navigate the twists and turns, their journey punctuated by the gentle clattering sound that echoed through the room. The sense of accomplishment and pride was immeasurable. In the end, this project served as a reminder that the most fulfilling experiences are often those that allow us to engage our minds and hands, to step away from screens and immerse ourselves in the tangible world. Building a marble run with simple tools and cardboard might seem like a small endeavor, but its impact was significant. It reignited my passion for hands-on creativity, leaving me inspired to seek out more opportunities for self-expression and innovation.

Reflection on trip to Barkerville, BC on June 20, 2023

I had the opportunity to visit Barkerville, a charming historic town amidst the Cariboo Mountains, for the first time on June 20. Stepping back in time to the gold rush era, Barkerville offered an immersive and memorable experience. Barkerville preserves the history and stories of the gold rush pioneers who had once flocked here in search of fortune. On the way to Barkerville, we stopped at Blessings Grave, Wells, and Stanley, BC.

The day began with a presentations in the town, led by knowledgeable historians and actors who brought the rich history of Barkerville to life. The stories of the gold miners, entrepreneurs, and settlers were on full display. One particular highlight of the day was a visit to the Chinese Quarter, a vibrant and bustling area that portrayed the cultural diversity of the gold rush era. The sight of ornate temples and traditional shops offered a glimpse into the lives of the Chinese immigrants who played a significant role in shaping Barkerville’s history.

I also had the chance to explore the town at my own pace. I went with a group and wandered through the shops, admiring the artifacts and handicrafts on display. I paid a visit to the courthouse via a beautiful walk along the river to Richfeild. As the day drew to a close, I found myself reflecting on the significance of Barkerville’s preservation. It serves not only as a reminder of our collective past but also as a tribute to the resilience and perseverance of the those searching for a better life. I felt a deep gratitude for having had the opportunity to immerse myself in this living history lesson. The town left an impression on me, reminding me of the importance of preserving our heritage and the stories that shape our identities. I look forward to returning to Barkerville.

Hike to the Richfield Courthouse.
Gold panning near Stanley, British Columbia.
Making a mandala in the community forest in Wells, BC.