About Me

“Nothing ventured, nothing gained.”

Sincere;

Always learning;

Respectful;

A curious and playful heart; and

Honest in my actions.

I have considered my own story many times throughout this Bachelor of Education program. My story was constantly changing but now my trajectory is clearer, and I feel comfortable sharing my story and goals. When I entertained applying to the program, I was working full-time in student recruitment at UNBC. It was the perfect job on paper: full benefits, my own office, easy and clean work, and two weeks of vacation per year. Once the excitement of the job wore off, I realized that I was borderline miserable. I was starved of social time and constricted by the office and the 8:30-4:30, Monday to Friday. I dreaded going to work and would pass my time at work by phoning family members and journaling. I had negative experiences with my supervisor and with eating habits when I was bored and frustrated. However, I also had some incredibly positive experiences at work, most importantly that the position was a key step in where I am today. I feel thrilled to have found a career that is a much better fit to me. I chose to apply to the Secondary Stream of the Bachelor of Education program at UNBC. That was the only program I applied to because I wanted to stay with my partner in Prince George.

I can’t say I’m much of a natural storyteller, but I’d like to improve. I can never remember details of story accurately and in order. I have a hard time hitting the punchline and would prefer if someone else took the reins. In my family, there are some impressive storytellers. Several of these uncles often take their fair share of creative liberties in retelling their stories. It’s possible that I couldn’t compete with them growing up, so I didn’t get to practice as much. My fiancé is an excellent storyteller, and so is my childhood best friend. I have a theory that I’ve sought out in others what I do not think I possess. In other words, opposites attract, and the people I surround myself with tend to have complementary traits to mine. I absolutely adore reading stories to others and being read to.

I recently came across the Aesop’s fable called Town Mouse, Country Mouse. This fable deeply resonated with me because identify strongly with the Country Mouse. I had (and still do have) the potential to be a Town Mouse but I have realized during my time living in Prince George that I appreciate a slower, calmer, more predictable lifestyle. Prince George affords me stability. I miss some of the niceties of living in a bigger and more urban city (like my hometown, Kingston, Ontario) but I’ve grown to embrace the beautiful forest, wildlife, and peace that surrounds me here. I celebrate Prince George when I’m in the classroom, as I am familiar with the sentiment of people rejecting their hometowns. In high school, I was and still am a proud ambassador for Kingston. I do enjoy showing students maps of Canada and Ontario to orient themselves with where they are and where I am from. I didn’t realize how large our country is until I moved across it and had to travel back-and-forth.

Surprise on Summerhill, Kingston. June 30, 2023.

Decide on the three aspects of your personality needing management to best support relationships of trust in the classroom.

1. Stubborn
  2. Contemplative
  3. Hasty

Managing Stubbornness

• Be open-minded and willing to consider alternative perspectives or approaches suggested by students.
  • If students challenge your ideas or instructions, listen actively to their viewpoints, and respond thoughtfully.
  • Encourage students to express their opinions respectfully and create an environment where constructive discussions are welcomed.

Managing Contemplativeness

• Allow students sufficient thinking time during discussions or when responding to questions.
  • Offer opportunities for reflective writing or journaling to encourage contemplation and self-expression.
  • Incorporate group activities that promote collaboration, as this can help balance the contemplative nature with social interaction.

Managing Hastiness

• Practice mindfulness and self-awareness to recognize when you might be rushing through tasks or interactions.
  • Take a deep breath before responding to any student’s comment or question, ensuring a thoughtful and patient reply.
  • Schedule regular moments of pause during class, giving yourself time to gather your thoughts and ensure clarity in your communication.